Yet another coyote swap into a new edge — This is Tanner’s first start video:
And apparently he’s been driving the car for quite some time:
I’d say the car has a more than healthy sound! Looking forward to more data on this one.
Ok, so you may not want to even listen to this video, because the sound is intoxicating:
That’s the sound of an Aluminator XS running a few laps — just listening to the car is enough. I would love to ride a few laps in that car. Fun video to watch — seems a lot of stuff on that track keeps getting passed. From what I understand, this is a car built by John Griggs — basically a stripped new edge with one wild naturally aspirated motor.
Here’s more of a walk around of the car:
And here it is on the dyno:
There’s more coyote swap madness in the works! The more I find the more I’ll post here. Hope you’re enjoying the ride as much as I am.
Things are coming together in the engine bay.
I’ve sold a couple of tachometer connectors to people doing swaps into New Edge cars. The instructions are kind of rough, but the part is unique — If you have a New Edge car and you’re wondering what to do to get your tach working, contact me. More news to come here for sure.
Matthew Overbeek and I are possibly going to tear my car down this winter and document, document, document. I’d like to come away with a working swap manual (and service manual). If this interests me, please message me and I’ll put you on a list. There are still quite a few parts in the swap that aren’t exactly off the shelf, so we may actually have a kit eventually (that’s the plan).
I’ve been driving the beast back and forth to work and it’s been on quite a few extended runs. There’s no other way to put it, the car sings. I haven’t even tuned it yet and yet it’s got a boat-load of power. I do think I need to do a torque tube and panhard bar — more news there to come I’m sure as well.
His first start video:
Dakota built his own engine as well — can’t wait to see more pictures and video!
Congratulations man, there has got to be so much more from this story and I hope to post as much as possible about this build as time permits.
Latest development — I have the engine cover in place! This took a lot of time and work and of course I had help from my buddy Matthew Overbeek. Matt’s engine bay still sets the record for smooth, IMHO.
To get it to this point, we had to do some bending, sawing and welding (mostly on the cross-tower brace). One of the benefits introduced was to tap the holes for the cross-tower-brace. The rear holes were replaced with welded-in-studs. This means I can pull the cross-tower-brace with a 17mm wrench (just one). Huge improvement.
To get the cover to fit, the hood insulation/sound damper had to be removed. This freed up space over the cover, which is sitting rather close to the hood. Still some painting and cleaning to do, but man does it look sweet. I’m also finishing up a fuse-box (faux) to cover up that unsightly mess-o-wires in the passenger front of the car.
I’ve been too busy for video! I’ll get some of it out on youtube, hopefully today or tomorrow.
I got some terrific footage with the GoPro recently. I did this by holding the camera and driving the car (kinda tricky, as one hand needs to shift, the other hand, steer, and with my third hand, I hold the camera).
Had a great time going to the back to the 50’s show with my Dad — we rode around a lot over the weekend with the top down. The car was quite bouncy, mainly due to the fact that I had the adjustable shock valving on the KYB struts (in the front of the car) set to their maximum stiffness setting :/ … Too bad I didn’t figure this out till Dad was back in Ohio. A small screwdriver and now the car is a lot more civilized.
During the show I had time to do a photo-shoot with Matthew Overbeek’s incredible 94. Here’s the photo album on Imgur:
I’m working on cleaning up the appearance of the engine bay. It’s not a simple operation — but a big portion of the mess is located in the passenger/front corner. Basically the Coyote PCM sits there, and a ton of wires run through that spot. I’ll be using a cheap plastic toolbox there to hide the mess. I’m probably going to use something black and round to cover the hydroboost plumbing in the opposite corner, and leave the fuel regulator on display. The final piece will come later — I’m looking at replacing the stock hood with a Cobra R hood, and that will give me vertical room for the Coyote engine cover.
Interest continues to pick up — more people are attempting Coyote swaps with New Edge cars. Happy Day! Contact me if you’re thinking about this, by the way.
Here’s some footage of the car from about 2 weeks ago. I mounted my GoPro to my head for the video.
I got the car aligned a few days ago. It’s really coming together:
Album of recent pictures for June of 2014.
The car is really drivable. It has an amazing sound. I have some minor tuning to do (mainly want to get a tune that allows the motor to hit its very realistic 7700 RPM red-line. Right now I’m “limited” to “only” 6500 RPM. Now that I have the tach working I feel much more confident winding it to the limit. It has an addictive sound. I’ll get some video of that in the next few weeks.
Found on Reddit — not sure who this car belongs to, but I’ll have more if I can get the data.
I did a rather long video shoot describing some of the recent changes to the car. It’s definitely coming together. This past weekend was phenomenal though. So much done in such a short burst.
This video, unfortunately, was shot before all that progress …