For a new Coyote motor in the old new edge, the stock K member is simply not up to snuff — mainly, it’s taking up space that the oil pan and headers want to use, which is unfortunate.
Or is it?
The stock K-member is a porker — it weighs a lot and gets in the way of any kind of decent set of headers. Add the fact that the weight is right over the front wheels, and that the Mustang is a front-heavy car, and you have nothing but positive news if you swap it for an aftermarket K-member.
This is one of the places where the costs can wrack up pretty quickly — you can go for cheap, but there really aren’t a lot of good choices here — although it may seem like it if you just search for quantity. Here’s what I went through in choosing the UPR chrome-molly K-member for my project:
QA1: Looks like a decent choice — but the unit is made in china of mild steel and appears to be of inferior quality compared to the UPR or Maximum Motor sports units. I might have gone with MM instead though, if I hadn’t chosen UPR — the UPR unit is made in the USA and after talking with Adam Bennett at UPR products, I chose their coil-over conversion kit, which would allow me to keep my existing KYB adjustable struts and steeda camber/caster plates.
This is the kit I ended up getting. I also opted for a 3/8″ spacer kit, just in case I needed more space in the engine bay (prolly a good hedge there) and a spanner wrench to adjust the ride height of the front of the vehicle.
The kit is on order, and expected arrival sometime next week.
One of my goals for this project is to lower the weight of the vehicle and this unit will give me that and valuable space under the engine for the (factory) shorty headers and larger oil pan.