Final Assembly Begins 5/3/2013

With most of the body prep out of the way, the final assembly of my Coyote project is in progress. I’m starting with some basic things — getting the braking and fuel systems put back together, painting the engine bay, fitting the drive-by-wire gas pedal, and finalizing the battery-relocation wiring. You can see a lot of the video here:

The gas pedal bracket is based upon the idea of the SVE gas pedal bracket, but I want one that’s adjustable. I started out pretty basic and so far it’s been a royal pain in the butt — but I think I can get what I’m after, which is a pedal assembly that allows me to adjust the gas pedal in a couple of key ways (left and right, and up and down). More on that in some later posts.

The obvious great news is that after a year or so of work and preparation, I’m finally getting back to putting the beast back together.

Enjoy!

-=FeriCyde=-

Engine bay prep is mostly done

After pulling the engine, I’ve been consumed with getting the engine bay into shape and with fitting the new engine into place, albeit, temporarily.

Some welding, sawing and drilling was in order. First, there was some major rust around the shock towers to address. I hired a local technician to do my work as I don’t have a welder and given the cost, it wouldn’t have made any kind of sense to purchase one for this project. He came by on an afternoon, cut some custom patches for my shock towers, and sewed them into place.

During most of the work with the engine bay, the brake lines have been in the way almost entirely. If there had been some simple way to remove them I would have done that — I find myself wiring them out of the way a lot as a lot of operations involve moving objects in or relative to their space.

I’ve taken the liberty of removing almost everything else — all of the components of the engine bay have been cleared out, in preparation for the new engine. Some things go right back where they were, but almost everything else must move to a new location or be discarded. The brake master cylinder stays where it was, for example, and the fuse box will be in a similar location, as well as the air conditioning lines and canister.

Probably the most troublesome component to fit is the air box — it’s bulky, and simply doesn’t look like it’s going to behave when you first attempt to stick it in there. After looking at several other people’s attempts at this, I chose the location you see in the video.

I’ll be documenting the holes I’m cutting for the curious.

Next up — I’m pulling the engine for the last time — I’ll be cleaning up the holes I’ve cut, making some brackets and prepping the metal (Por15, a rust treatment, and painting a lot of surfaces). After that, the true build begins!

Talk soon!

-=FeriCyde=-

Un-Crating the Aluminator


So last Wednesday was a crazy day. I got word early last week that my motor was in — and dammit I simply didn’t have the ability to get the motor until Wednesday. Wednesday arrived and my buddy Dustin showed up with his truck and my Aluminator got fork-lifted onto the bed of the truck like a stack of hash-browns.
Aluminator getting loaded onto the truck
A few nervous minutes later, Dustin and I are trying to figure out how we’re going to hook it to the engine hoist — fortunately, I found another chain (Thanks Jesse!) and we were in business.

A few minutes later, the Aluminator was on the floor of the garage, and then the photo-shoot began. Here’s a link to the photo album.

A few of my own (opinionated) personal observations — FRPP has done a terrific job of packaging this up. It comes with a lot more items than I expected, and the fit and finish of everything is top notch. I am sure there will be challenges to getting all of this working but I’m very pumped that it’s finally here and that I’m going to have the opportunity to get this done.

I’m a big plan of JIT (Just in Time) manufacturing — for the most part, a lot of the parts I’ve ordered for the build have been delivered very quicly, but I’m way ahead inventory-wise. I won’t be ready for the motor for at least a week — but overall, it’s very close to the wire, so this is (mostly) to plan. The main item I’m behind on here is the fuel system — I needed it sooner and it’s supposed to arrive in a week or so.

Sorry I don’t have time for more than this presently — I’m kinda pre-occupied prepping the chassis for the new motor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post comments here and I’ll do my best to answer everything,

-=FeriCyde=-